Ok, here we go! The first official recipe of our Holiday Cookie Countdown. Starting today, every week we'll be posting at least one of our favourite holiday cookie recipes on the blog until Christmas. We know that you have some amazing dinners to eat, but what about if you want a little dessert afterwards to get you in the festive mood? That's where we're here to help!
We don't know about you, but we know that we love to add in a little twist to the traditional holiday classics. You can't go wrong with sugar cookies and gingerbread, but every now and then you need to spice things up, right?
The cookies that we're bringing to you today definitely fit the bill. They are thick and chewy chocolate cookies packed to the brim with mint milk chocolate chunks. Perfect for your holiday cookie plate.
As if that wasn't enough, we decided to take things up a notch (it's the holiday season after all!) and dipped each cookie in a decadent coating of dark chocolate ganache. The sprinkles are optional but are sure to leave a smile on the face of anyone who eats one!
For the dark chocolate ganache it's best to use a dark chocolate other than chocolate chips. We used a large 400 g Waterbridge 70% chocolate bar that you can find at Walmart. All you need to do is chop it finely, and then it melts like a dream!
These cookies are to die for, and a great way to kick off the start of holiday baking season. Your friends and family will love them!
Mint Chocolate Chunk Cookies with Dark Chocolate Ganache
2 1/2 cups (313 g) all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup Dutch-processed cocoa
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
1 cup (214 g) light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 bars (200 g) Cadbury mint milk chocolate, chopped
For the Ganache:
400 g dark chocolate, very finely chopped
3/4 cup heavy cream
Coloured sprinkles for decorating (optional)
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, sea salt, and cocoa. Set aside.
3. Using a mixer (or a little elbow grease), cream together the butter and sugars until fluffy. . Add in the eggs one at a time. Next, add the vanilla extract and mix until combined.
4. Gradually, add the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Stir in the chopped mint chocolate chunks. Scoop the dough into rounded tablespoons and place on the prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. *We made the gigantic cookies that you can see in the pictures above. We used about double this amount, or about 80 g per cookie. Bake cookies for 10 minutes, or until cookies are set, but still soft in the center. Make sure not to overbake! Remove from the oven and let sit on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. Move to a cooling rack and cool completely.
5. While the cookies are cooling, make the ganache. Place the chocolate in a large bowl. Heat the cream in a small pot over meidum heat just until it bubbles around the edges. Remove the cream from the heat and pour it over the chocolate. Let the mixture stand for 30-45 seconds, then stir until the chocolate melts and a smooth ganache comes together, about 1-2 minutes.
6. Lay out a large sheet of parchment paper or wax paper. Dip the cookies, halfway, into the warm ganache. Place the dipped cookies on paper. Decorate with sprinkles as desired. Let the cookies sit until the ganaches hardens, about 2 hours. To speed up the process, you can put the cookies in the fridge. Enjoy!
Inspired by this recipe.